What do you think of when Autumn arrives, and the days start to get shorter, and you’re spending more time creating in the kitchen? I think of the comforting scent of coffee beans roasting on morning air, and a slice of good ol’ banana bread heaping sweetness on a plate next to my mug. Even if you’re not a fan of the fruit, the pure joy a bite of moist, mouth-watering bread gives you is totally worth it. Come on – give in to your sweet tooth, even if it’s just for the season.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3 ripe/overripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 + 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 – 1 cup mini chocolate chips (semi-sweet preferred)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a standard size bread loaf pan with baking spray and set pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas until they are as smooth as possible.
- Place butter in separate bowl and microwave for about 45 seconds to melt.
- Stir in the melted butter along with the mashed bananas, until smooth, as well.
- Add the sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda, salt and flour to the bowl. Stir until the batter is smooth, thick and 100% combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. This is where you can get creative. Add as much, or as little chocolate as you’d prefer. I usually add about a full cup!
- Pour and scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Add a sprinkle of extra chocolate chips on top for a crisp, decadent crust!
- Bake the bread for 50 minutes (to an hour), or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out completely clean.
- Let bread cool on a wire rack. Slice, serve and bon appetit!